Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Hollywood Bowl Dream


Up in the high seats watching a great spectral jam session through hot foggy Hollywood Bowl plume haze---odd crickety night bugs chirping---giggly voices mingling with a dry raspy stoned-out dialog in the chaparral behind. I'm an usher once again and feeling that ancient halcyon joy riding in me. My miniskirted date is next to me on the splinterbench. It's sweet and smiling P. Ferri, and her sister D smiling alongside and making them look like one gorgeous two-headed girl. They're both slightly sloe-eyed from something smoked, which I realize is due to the cloud-seeping from the rock and roll fog machines (clipped along the bowl's rim) all stutter-pumping a gauzy haze down on the crowd below and slowly seep-curling its way through hippy hairdos all the way up to our high-hill bench. Ah this is the life! Machine-pumped concert wonder drugs---me here with my nearly-twin-sisters double-dating---I can feel the floating guitar lullaby-licking my ears from this magical band in silhouette.

Later the narcoleptic smile on D's face has me worried since I've got to steer them both back to Echo Park (and their alcoholic mom) on my blood-red, tanked-up and ready to barrel BSA. We're struggling through fits of stony buzz laughter (a stream of nutter jokes) and I'm worried that it's gonna be too damned naked the three of us riding with no leathers, helmets and me at the throttle...then kicking at the rancid oily dirt trying to get the bike to open but only managing some sputtering pops and the girls howling together at my ignominy and I let it slip and we all go down kickstand up and now a trio of dying hysteria fitsters and why isn't the bike heavier and hurting us? It's no longer the baddass BSA but a big cheap display model and now D goes to the sages to pee and suddenly her head is bobbing to the splash beats of her hilarious rainbird sprinkler.

We're back at the crickety sage-side of the Bowl where I'd heard earlier chaparral giggles (this being where D was pissing buckets) I'm wondering why the concert is still 'on' because of my earlier crowd exodus memory---strange Herb Alpert Mariachi trumpeting starts up with hip-hop funkybeats and now a Chicano rapper comes onto the stage and then a few more and all sounding like Cypress Hill chanting astonishing nasty raps mixed in with melodious harmonies and D looks at me and says: 'It's another fear-moan pumped sonic crowd down there. Get it? FEAR-MOAN!' Then she starts into a perfect Karaoke memory rap with the Chicano stage guys and some other boys beyond the bushes and I'm trying desperately to follow her lucid lips and suddenly feel a rush of amazement and love for her own joy and now know that she's the queen of my dreams.

21 Comments:

Blogger Perfect Virgo said...

The mini skirted date is taking me right back when. The bike clip reminds me to stick to Japanese when I eventually return to the saddle.

8:58 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Virgo, that second sentence would be cryptic as hell were it not tied to my text.

Hope you've had a gladhappy day or anything approximating such.

Take care and thanks for stopping by.

9:12 PM  
Blogger transience said...

the last time a lullaby licked me was when bette davis was in her heyday and i wasn't even born yet.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous doctorpants said...

I like the blogroll! BTW. .I never know wha to write when I read your entries!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Perfect Virgo said...

Yeah I know, they say I talk that in real life too! I had a great day thanks, my recent somber posts have helped eject some despair. Dream on.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous doctorpants said...

I love lamp. I love chair. I love desk.

10:25 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

trans...like i mentioned, it was marty feldman's born-again eyes that licked you.

doctorpants...you like the blogroll eh? the idea is from transcience and ruksak's blogs. as far as not knowing what to write, just light up a dooby, close your eyes and play some music on your keyboard.

perfect virgo...glad for your posts, no matter what you eject alongwith.

doctorpants..lamp, chair, and desk. chair, desk and lamp. desk, lamp and chair. lamp, desk and chair...did we miss anything here?

9:29 PM  
Blogger RuKsaK said...

Like the way this one starts kind of slow and relaxed and speeds up towards the end. It does for me anyway, but maybe I was thinking about the mini skirt.

1:11 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

RuKsak...Your observations always lead me back to what I've written. I hadn't thought about the speed of things, but yeah, you're exactly right about the mini-skirt effect. Maybe the design is intended for quickies. Dunno.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to the Hollywood Bowl a numb er of times. The way you describe the upper reaches tells me you must have really been there.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous milktea said...

I always know that wearing miniskirts makes a girl sexy. The rap thing... that's new to me.

2:43 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Yeah and I got numb from it.

3:29 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

milktea...the rap thing was all the odder for having been in Chicano rap style. These girls were lilly white in real life, making it all the more surreal.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Calaloola said...

live music is a trip and i don't wanna get off...

impressive, vivid account finnegan :)

6:13 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

thanks calaloola. hey, what's a calaloola? sounds like some sort of appalacian hybrid.

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really strange blog. I don't know if I like it, love it or what. I have to say that it is unique.

11:06 PM  
Blogger karma said...

i salute your vocabulary. and the usage :))

3:25 AM  
Blogger Calaloola said...

calaloo is a jamaican vegetable. kinda like spinach, only yummier. makes a great spicy soup.

5:15 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

karma---that drag on the fag makes one sag

calaloola---gotta try it. nothing like that here in switzerland.

althought there are a number of jamaican shops at the markets, i've never seen any produce. i'm gonna ask next time. maybe someone's growing it in a hothouse.

7:22 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

oops sorry about that anonymous! couldn't see you very well without your avatar or identity tag. thanks and try starting a blog if you haven't got one. great fun to be had.

7:25 AM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Excellent line,

"I'm an usher once again and feeling that ancient halcyon joy riding in me."

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home