Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Antarctica Dream


Staring down at a half-filled pond---could be a small reservoir even---a dusty window view in the high loft attic---open space---varnished---knotty cabin pine. Alpine. But this place could also be Uncle M's 60's Torrance tract house wedded to a Swiss style chalet on steroids. And there are stones and it is huge with many rooms lurking.

I'm making my way down a small spiral stairwell---'Watch your step; it's rickety'. There's a man making his way up the bottom rungs (the caretaker?). I look below and the scene is open and spiral-skewed like Vertigo belltower steps, not at all like the stonewalled stairwell space I'm standing in, which leaves no room to pass and so I'm withdrawing awkwardly, backwardly while fingerfeeling the wooden stairstringers (more varnished piney knots). My achilles are starting to set---like hardening concrete---throb-aching, numb. I'm keeping an eye on his 'progress' throughout---catching glimpses of crew-cut hair, hands, arms, shiny shoes flash-lit by a vertical string of pond-viewing windows. I see a tray with shiny cutlery...room service?.

At the same space of earlier attic but now with sink and faucet looking down again at a much bigger pond area (more like a lake) but now with a much lower water level---farmers and fishermen going about their trades, but stiffly---like Sim City early settler automatons. Everything brisk and pristine except for bogs and seaweed zephyrwafting in murky green water. My mind sees minnowfish hypergilling---struggling for 'air' and so I turn the water dials and instantly fry swimming in all directions like tragic escaped fish prisoners. I'm feeling rushes of relief....that man. Looking around for my video camera (where did I put it?) to capture whatever shenanigans he might put me through 'just in case' (where is it?) L.R. is sitting on my mom's old leather sofa watching tiny tv right where (I'm now sure) the camera should be. I know she's responsible. She doesn't see me. She's transfixed on something flickering on the screen that I cannot see.

More epic dreaming of castle-hut-pond-moat-uncle M's. In an airliner looking down at same algae lake and higher perspective shows it's really a moat around a cheezy Lego-like alpine village castle knottypine hut propped up manse-like high on Gibraltar hillock. Everything is still of that oddly mechanical space---only higher up. I've got 'my' camcorder again---but this one's not mine because it's much heavier, professional. I'm ZOOMING in on the digital Lego space and the zoom control now jammed and I'm admiring all the beautifully machined anodized dials and switches with its thrilling solid heavy state....the pond lake moat is in the viewer now---I can see the landscape is innundated---Apine farms submerged and plankton-ridden with mechanical medieval tradesmen knocked-over with some half in the water face down. The camera is operating on its own now; is 'showing me' where to look. Southern polar region is visible beyond the Andes and my gut wrenches suddenly in the knowledge that a mammoth ice shelf has broken free. I'm now trying to zoom in on Antarctica, but as I get to it the camera shuts down. It's really happening.

14 Comments:

Blogger NOWHERE MAN said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:49 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Well, yes, I'm interested in Japan Mr. Shuffle.
Check these out:
http://yugop.com/ (an amazingly subtle site. Great stuff happening with lots and lots of Easter eggs, beaucoup links..)
Eats: http://www.bento.com/frmofoo.html
Funny stuff:
http://www.japander.com/japander/
http://www.engrish.com/
http://www.petoffice.co.jp/catprin/english/
Paper goodies:
http://www.origami.com/
Character practice for Manga:
http://www2.gol.com/users/billp/students/kanjiname/

Hey, this is a comments page. I'm outta here.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Ubermensch said...

hey first time here...
ur writing justifies ur url
keep them coming

9:50 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

shucks ubermensch...dinna know you read the nietzsche man. thanks and hope to hear from you again.

9:57 PM  
Blogger transience said...

i dreamt of sim city once. because i thought i could create and be the hand of god. boy, was i wrong.

3:14 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

I think the Pope is realizing that too. There's no 'security' in the end because there ain't no 'Man' 'up there' waiting. No glass case---no bullet proof vest is gonna ward of the inevitable.

8:05 AM  
Blogger SOH said...

Interesting blog.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Jennynyc said...

I always love your details. I regret that I do not take the time to put such lovely details.

Love the Japan exchange :)

6:46 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

SOH, read your chipped-tooth story about your uncle. Yoiks, what a way to go.

7:37 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Jenny my dear, the details is where all the fun be had. Details either remove or add lead weight to writing or anything else...depending on the details of the details of course.

Remember the stupid butterfly to hurricane physics
analogy? In writing it's commas to tomes.

7:42 AM  
Blogger amy said...

why are all of your photos so blurry?

4:22 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Gypsy, my photos are all intentionally blurry because they reflect the fuzzy nature of my dreams. I think you'll be better off by just 'seeing' them as they are.

Remember when you were a child and opening your eyes for the first time? Things were not very clear, remember? Can't remember it clearly? See what I mean?

8:13 AM  
Blogger amy said...

oh ok... thanks for clarifying this.... i thought perhaps you were a really bad photographer... ha ha ha... thanks for stopping by my site. be well. inky

6:00 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

even really bad photographers need love.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home