Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Latex Dream


Cooking some flayed hibachi meat in an old decayed Alfama apartment in Lisbon---Sao Jorge Castelo stonepiled masses---discrete prismatic views from every hand-made rounded window---church-like but oddly Pueblo Indian with densely patted adobe---buckets of whitewash stacked and the thought of coating these absorbent walls thrills me to the core---I pick up the telescoping paint pole and commence dunking comically large lambcovered roller with curdled white custard---now cussing out loud calling it 'cheap clotted curds'---I've got to thin the mix, but no faucet anywhere and so I head down spiral stairs in what is now Andy Wilf's downtown L.A. studio. I spy a stack of buckets labeled LATEX and know instantly 'This is it; luxury paint!' But oh man these buckets weigh in like wet cement. And how'm I gonna lift these puppies? Now I'm rummaging further back in cluttered storage recesses and---eureka a forklift sitting there amid paperpiles! I jump into the seat giddyup---but there's no key; no fork levers---I realize it's all a heavy plastic casting of some cheapniz rooftop signage. And who's selling forklifts? I'm hee-hawing at the nuthouse idea of it all, including my ridiculous jumping-aboard. But I feel urgent need to paint! I want those buckets upstairs---deep longing for the chalky alkid odor; my mindeye sees great purification of whitewashed surfaces; tiny bubbles like dried ghost fossils---afternoon shadows and now mentally surfing out the little adobe holes and I can feel the spring coming on. And what happened to the meat?


3 Comments:

Blogger Jennynyc said...

"But I feel urgent need to paint! I want those buckets upstairs---deep longing for the chalky alkid odor; my mindeye sees great purification of whitewashed surfaces; tiny bubbles like dried ghost fossils---afternoon shadows and now mentally surfing out the little adobe holes and I can feel the spring coming on."
Beautiful writing as always!

5:25 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Thanks Jenny, you're always so generous with your comments. Seems your dreams have been getting more frequent as well as detailed. Are you writing them down in the morning now?

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, really glad I found this site. Keep up the outrageous stuff!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home