Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Monday, March 28, 2005

Crystal Springs Dream


"Waiting" for speech presentations at Griffith Park near glen-like Crystal Springs with formal dining tables lined up dressed in white linen looking like some sad veteran's cemetery. Ceremonial podium with pokingout speaker stanchions and boyscout flags flapping in the wide-angle distance---nearby tuxed waiters placing cutlery just so with 'high occasion' stiffback postures, mechano-glide sentinels. Flags flapping. More waiting. I'm thinking this is the calm before momentous speeches and big waves. Now hyper-aware of big birds tree-housed in the white oak canopy shading my spot of grass. Now a group of 'my' students arrive---a huge class anticipating my giving them instruction. I bleat that I'm 'off duty' and to find another instructor while pointing off yonder to flagged podium. One wiseguy calls my bluff: "You're full of shit" he says. I'm fumbling around for a juicy retort but end up stuttering some horsepuck nonsense and everyone chuckling in good fun smiling and trying to let me 'off the hook'. I can't think clearly nor do I care. It is hot. I'm waiting....watching.

5 Comments:

Blogger transience said...

i had debate classes in college. they had this fancy name for it: ARGUMENTATION. i didn't think they made me a good arguer. i am too diplomatic. i don't know why i am telling you this, except that your post reminded me of what it was like to speak and to wait to speak and to speak about waiting.

7:51 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Heh heh. It makes one humble in 'the end', having to sit and wait.

Speaking of Humbolt, (which I believe used to be called Humble) you can brush up on your argumentation skills---I couldn't find their school for diplomacy however.

8:14 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Oops. Sorry T---Forgot to include the URL:

http://www.humboldt.edu/~act/HTML/

8:17 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Hello, long time no surf! Glad to see your subconscious is still hard at work!

1:14 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

hey surfer girl. better weather in zuerich these days, no?

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home