Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Sunset Boulevard Studio Dream


Tall stack of putty-colored cds---each one with black-numbered code around the rim---and I'm tossing them like a circus knife thrower across a long narrow span of space towards a big concentrically banded black and white 'target'---is this my old Sunset Blvd. studio?---but it's not a dart board---this one many times bigger---and now I go to fetch my imbedded disks covering the target and as I approach it the cds give off a prismatic effect shimmering as I change my perspective---and now I'm up close on the board pulling the disks out and trying to focus on the cd codes, which are all html and java script. Hard to focus except for one depth-of-field point that homes in on the numbers and letters. There's a buzzing, clicking sound coming from behind and I know I need to investigate but right now obsessed with this code and my 'camera eye' vision. Moving my head forward and back to adjust the focus---and now see that the code is changing like a digital counter but it's too tiny---can't move my eyes any closer than the range will allow. Pull the last of the imbedded disks out of the dense target and now want to go behind to investigate the strange buzz-clicking. A walled room but no entry door so I put my ears against the unfinished dry-wall boards to listen and can hear machine sounds and someone talking. I start peeling the drywall tape and thinking 'no big deal' and now I can see a high tech flourescent room and the machine---but no person. Pull off the drywall panel past the few holding screws and now a radio playing and it's a talk show host with guest but I can't make out what they're saying. Old radio. Arthur Godfrey? I can't hear. Radio is old bakelite and lovely moderne like old Southern Pacific trains and I try tuning in the station better and it gets loud and static. Machine starts up. It's 19th century looking black enameled cast iron like sad old factory textile looms---even below deck engines of old riverboats Mark Twain wrote about---and now this big looming thing is moving faster and the room is hot so I go out to the other side where the target was fixed and now it's gone.

10 Comments:

Blogger celestial blue said...

that was one damn cool dream, my friend!

5:11 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Thanks!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Charone said...

Are you able to control yourself in your dreams, like fly and stuff?

9:23 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

My flying days are somewhat numbered I think. It's more crawling and grovelling actually; controls on autopilot at best. I'd be curious to see what would happen if I actually got off the ground, since I'm way out of practice. I do fall quite often however, with a vivid sense of anticipation.

9:57 PM  
Blogger D-Thinker said...

very inspiring, obviously on a roll.

2:18 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

I wish I could remember more of my dreams. It seems that there's got to be a better way of remembering them than we've recognized. It would be liberating if more folks tried to write out of their dreams. Not as a way of analyzing their so-called 'awake' state of mind (which I'm averse to actually), but simply digging into the mystery as it exists in each and every person. It's likely the real source of sprung verse and where the Muse drinks Guiness. It's also why I've chosen 'Waking Finnegan' as my blog title. It's a play on James Joyce's 'Finnegan's Wake', a book barely 'English-able', having sprung from the recesses of Joyce's dream mind.
It's like my 'bible of babble' or 'babble-bible' if you will.

Speaking of babble, some interesting and quite hilarious linguistic succotash can be generated by using the Babblefish translator. It's willy-nilly and oh so silly. Dr. Seuss and Monty Python meets badly out-of-synch Godzilla starring in 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Charone said...

Dang, I can hardly remember a thing when I dream.

8:06 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Try keeping a simple voice recorder or paper and pen handy. As soon as you wake up--before thinking of the day or anything else, go straight back to what you were dreaming. If not, you'll lose the thread immediately. Check this list out for more on the topic:
http://www.asdreams.org/subidxeduq_and_a.htm

It's simply a matter of actually doing it as a sort of ritual. Practice doesn't mean perfect in this case, but a heck of a lot better than nothing at all.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice writing!

9:56 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Well thanks!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home