Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Robert Altman Dream


In some big auto garage, grease blackened and musty, and having trouble remembering my lines for my role---no clue as to what to say or who I am---Robert Altman is standing over the scene with oversize horn-rimmed glitter coated reading spectacles---his assistant is instructing me but speaking too fast and I'm ready to quit all this and run out, but as soon as I do R.A. steps forward, smiling, kindly and very reassuring telling me 'Don't worry, there's nothing here you haven't done in real life, so just be natural and it'll come'. Assistant again starts rattling off instructions but I can't, I don't know what...now she goes over to a big tank pulls a tube into her mouth and turns to me speaking even faster and with helium chipmunk voice and I want to laugh but I'm getting pissed cause I'm worried and telling her to slow down---she's yapping like some Pekinese and R.A. yells 'CUT!' and comes forward, grabs my hand shaking it while grinning hugely---'That's it! Perfectly done. That's how we get the magic to happen, you see'. I'm relieved; confused--- what did I do? But now the garage doors are being opened by someone outside---a horizontal snowfall and can hear footsteps shuffling and it's the crew leaving. I'm feeling greatly relieved at my 'success' but now only intent on seeing the individual flakes out the door, but everything going in and out of focus---now there's a black shadow of someone's head over the snow scene. I realize it's mine and start making puppet head shadow movements ticktock like an upturned pendulum. When I look back to see the where from, I can see the crew up in the projection room watching me. I feel uncertain about the vibes.

Same dream but now in a trailer dressing room with R.A; huge Rococo mirror with animal portrait photos taped up and old half rubbery masks of fx ghouls behind him reflecting all the hanging beads and baubles and scattered make-up and hairspray cans mixed up with Chinese take-out containers and I'm picking on some hardened stir-fry noodles glued to the table's edge. My fingernail is split and it looks like a pen nib and I'm flicking it on the noodles in a funky rhythm. But R.A. gestures for me to stop and starts speaking morosely, 'I'm real sorry but we're gonna have to let you go. You're work is top-rate, excellent stuff indeed, but not gonna pass the public litmus at the test screening. I go back to plucking my noodle tune while he starts rattling off statistics, me feeling deeply humiliated at what's happened; my career...fuck! R.A. says, 'Please....eat!' 'You ain't hungry?' 'Well if you're not gonna eat, I'm gonna!' and he comically chopsticks out all the kungpao, broccoli w/oysters and fried rice all over the table, all over the lipsticks and creams and his papers and looks up and says 'It's all good!' and now moves in deftly with both hands ambidexterously chopsticking everything clack clack clack.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great translation!

7:13 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Yes, this dream was in Spanish originally.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Φ said...

Hey thanks for ur comment at my blog metamorphosis.rediffblogs.com..and am quite glad to find a fellow fish with his posts.. dreams are my fav topic of discussion.. glad and nice work here.. Vielen Dank

MfG

7:04 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Dreams are our mental anti-matter.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mental anti-matter .. i certainly wud not agree with that..dreams existence is compound relation to reality (matter). mutualy-inclusive

12:28 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Anonymous said:..dreams existence is compound relation to reality (matter). mutualy-inclusive.

Well, yes and no, since anti-matter is part of the universal equation of opposing forces in this thing called 'reality'. But hey I was sort of making a joke. Guess it sucked.

What about if I called it 'Auntie Matter', so that when I yell 'Uncle' during a particularly bad dream episode, Aunti Matter will come to the rescue?

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home