Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Monday, February 07, 2005

Egg Yolk Dream


Traveling up California Highway One near Arcata---big dark conifers on both sides of dampish asphalt---and I'm with some stranger--I think he's the guy from Anawalt Lumber on Santa Monica Blvd---were jawing about the tsunami at Crescent City back---he doesn't believe me and gives me variations like 'It was much bigger than the government reports claimed'---'You have no real idea how big it was'---Then he starts rubbing my leg which I jerk away---he pulls out a gun from his jacket and I'm thinking 'This is the end George'. I try swerving the car but the steering wheel is floppy-loose with much too much play and there's not enough room on the dark road---too many big redwoods---he starts laughing and tells me not to worry he'd never kill anyone and that it's for the bears. I don't trust him though, and tell him to put it away which he does. We drive out of the dark into a massive clearing which becomes tidal flats, marshy, swampy with some of the road slightly dipping into it and it's all looks hand-tinted and vague---the color not registering---we're in a different car now and it's much smaller---like a Mini Cooper but even tinier than that. The engine is going all out but we're barely moving along, and it isn't the Anawalt Lumber guy anymore but Pascal my friend from Paris. He's tells me we've got to go faster because the tide starts rising and we'll get inundated but my foot is pressing hard on the gas.

Later everything fine we're in small diner eating full on English breakfast full of bangers and spuds with yolky egg I'm now playing with---pressing down on the yolk tempting the viscous yellow seepage that both fascinates me and disgusts me at once. I find the 'umbilicus' on the edge of it, and pull out a tiny baby chick all yolky but alive and trying to cheep. I'm amazed it's alive and call the waiter and now the little thing is crawling up the string like one of those pull-toy monkeys. I'm freaking because the yolky beak is cheeping mechanically the whole time and keeps turning slowly to look at me with eyes that look much too human. I drop it on the plate and throw my napkin over everything and now groping for my wallet. Where the hell is it anyway?


10 Comments:

Blogger dreaming-neko said...

cool blog, man! your dreams are rich and complex. thanks for visiting my site. mind if i blogroll you?

8:55 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Not at all. You can check out my right sidebar to see your site link as well
neko. Oya sumi nasai

1:59 PM  
Blogger Charone said...

Wow, your dreams are much more scenic than mine.

7:57 PM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Try adding chocolate to your diet. It seems to effect something deep down in the lower cerebellum or southern antebellum or whoknowswhere? After copping a plea with my brain, I take my several snorts of colombian, er coffee, in order to hotwire myself back into the planet waves.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Rannva said...

Just noticed that you had posted a comment on my website. Fun to see another dream blog. You have very detailed and vivid dreams! All the best to you and yours.

5:45 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Come again.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog reminds me of Kurosawa's film 'Dreams',very colorful and interesting.

7:10 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Hmmm, I guess I've got to get the film. Thanks for your comment!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Jennynyc said...

You have a theme in this dream that you've had in others in which something looks okay on the outside but ends up being scary or disgusting with a closer look. Is there someone in your life that you don't trust? Is this a pattern for you? You are drawn and repelled. Are you drawn to something you don't feel comfortable with? By the way, if you answer, please let me know, because it's hard to remember to check back on blogs. I can't help saying again how absolutely beautiful your pictures and dreams are. Very admirable. I still haven't done your taperecorder idea, but it's been on my mind...Am I scared of what I'll find out? I liked your comments after another of your dreams about what your dream blog means to you, how open dreams are. I just told my latest dream to my girlfriend, and she said, "It makes me anxious. Are you doubting us?" I answered, "Not consciously" :-)

4:43 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Jennifer said:
"You have a theme in this dream that you've had in others in which something looks okay on the outside but ends up being scary or disgusting with a closer look. Is there someone in your life that you don't trust? Is this a pattern for you? You are drawn and repelled. Are you drawn to something you don't feel comfortable with?"

Well, that's perceptive of you Jennifer. In fact yes. Fortunately I don't have to see or be around this particular someone, since it (let's call this someone 'it') happens to live in the beyond the backside of nowhere, in a galaxy far far away. Living dead.

As to the notion that I'm drawn to certain things and simultaneously repelled--well you're nibbling at the kernel---it's sort of my theme song in life and one that's sort of fueled the more creative end of things.

I'm drawn to art like David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' and 'Mulholland Drive' or Polanski's 'The Tenant' or 'Repulsion' because they foreground this idea of being drawn into something this sort of entropy.

I imagine that most folks who eat food that was once alive feel this on a certain base level. Think about those cut up creatures in cellophane and styro with the medical napkin underneath. I'm surprised more folks don't vomit right there in the supermarket. I know I'm getting off the subject a bit here, but I couldn't resist.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home