Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

January 26, 2005


Snow shovels lined up along the wall outside the bedroom on Ottenweg. I'm counting the usable ones and some old white whiskered guy is waiting for me to finish so that he can have the broken ones. He's speaking a toothless Swiss German dialect that I can barely decipher. Snow is building up around everything and the reflected white light off his face makes him look saintly, but not when I see his teeth.

I'm having a party at my studio but not my studio--trying to clean behind conversing seated folks--everyone getting annoyed and a woman tells me 'Why don't you serve us something to eat for Godssakes' and I panic thinking I'm screwing things up, but somehow I don't get up but continue cleaning. I bump into black nylon- covered legs of a young woman--but then I inspect them and see dense hair underneath even hairy for a man. S/he bends forward and tells me not to tell anyone--but I see the 5 o'clock shadow and lots of pock-marks and I'm wondering who he's fooling. S/he's talking now about Johnny Depp and Ed Wood and seems to know a lot about both--telling me how he knew Ed Wood and was an extra in 'Glen or Glenda?' but I see he isn't old enough. I can see it's Mr. Wagner my math teacher at King Jr. High who was an excellent magician and used to write on the blackboard sideways without looking while talking to the class and I was amazed.

Receive a package in the mail. I know it's a dvd and struggle to get the package open..scissors broken--screw holding two halves comes out and can't get it to screw back in--packing tape way too glued down--package reinforced--impossible to tear away with my hands I wanna scream. Finally get it out and the dvd packaging more horror-struggling to get the cello/taping off with no fingernails. DVD box starts playing a tinny children's sing-song message-gram from a tiny speaker telling me the wrapping is edible like Japanese rice candy. I lick it and plastic box melts and now there's just the disk--all mosaic-like colored tesserae with hundreds of tiny puzzle pieces laminated very high-tech--my computer keeps rejecting it from the disk slot and I'm freaking out.


3 Comments:

Blogger Jennynyc said...

Your dreams are beautiful prose, and I love the pictures you add too. This set of dreams has a lot to do with things not being as they seem on the outside, and actually being nice superficially but unpleasant up close. Hmmm...

I don't see my link. Boo hoo!

6:24 AM  
Blogger finnegan said...

Yes indeed. I guess that's what it's like for most of us, whether it be marriage, people we work with, life itself. Maybe this stuff just comes out more vivid in dreams than in real life. Conversely, there are also those seemingly unpleasant things which up close can be quite beautiful. One good example might be art.

I enjoy your insightfulness.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
»

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home