Waking Finnegan

“We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our whole life is rounded with a sleep” ~ Shakespeare

My Photo
Name:
Location: zurich, Switzerland

Saturday, January 15, 2005

January 15, 2005


I find a huge warehouse full of incredible DVDs from Criterion, even the unavailable issues--'This is the mother lode!' and I'm freaking out that there are all sorts of titles available that I'd never seen--I see a stack of K. Mizoguchi's 'Ugetsu' dvds sitting under a sink and the the beautifully designed jackets and fibre paper are all soaked and puffy from absorbing the rusty water dripping--I open the top soggy one and there's no disc inside and then the one underneath--nothing. The same with the rest. I start checking out stacks of others and they either have no discs inside or the discs are stupid throw-away film titles bad kitsch not good. There's a huge floor to ceiling stack of cello-sealed boxes and I try sliding out one from the middle of a column and everything comes down and I'm buried now and it's like a dark tent but I can see all the match-shaped flourescently lit interstices and then I blink and can't get these shapes away and I'm terrified more than disturbed because they're so bright.

Knitting a brilliantly-colored sweater for Censy out of some strange soft neoprene-like tubing somewhat fuzzy and in day-glow colours. She asks me how I learned how to knit so beautifully and I tell her that it was when I did time and she doesn't understand the expression and I try to remember when I 'did time' and somehow a vague sense of being in Camarillo with Charlie Parker and Miles Davis visiting in a Cadillac and Mingus there too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brown Skin said...

I need to find a place like that here too or I will end up watching all the Top 10 America - not good. I love Miles Davis (and John Coltrane and Chet Baker) :-) I e-mailed you earlier. O.K now I am REALLY leaving. Have a nice weekend!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Brown Skin said...

Oh Jesus! I thought you were Australian, sorry sorry sorry!!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Funky Fresh Freddie said...

Hello.

Very nice blog :)

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home